Today has been a bit of a mixed bag of a day with my journey to Zero waste. On one hand I feel like I’ve accomplished loads without spending anything. On the other hand my lack of funds seems to have caused waste too.
Start with the positives:
- I grated my off cuts of handmade soap to use as dish soap
- I made a Birthday cake as a gift from scratch with little waste in packaging
- I rebatched an ‘ugly’ handmade soap to hopefully end up something pretty I can gift to people.
- I froze excess vegetables
- I prepped my own oven chips
- Made homemade washing soda (not 100% what I’m going to use it for yet, but I’ve seen a few recipes)
- Collated a list of cleaning/stain removal recipes (so I have an way reference point)
But! I needed to go to the supermarket for Icing Sugar and chocolate toppings for my cake, and milk for Mr M. But! As always, I check the reduced section for anything we need/will definitely use and picked up a few things. Unfortunately most of those things came in plastic packaging!
- Half cucumber (I got 3 because at 15p each they were cheaper than getting 1 full one and B is enjoying it at the minute)
The net from the cucumber I will keep and use to make a homemade ‘scrubbie’/pan scrubber. The tubs from the grapes and raspberries, I may have some seedlings I can start in them. So they will at least get a bit of extra life.
Plus, since they were in the reduced section I like to think I at least saved the food from landfill!
But I’m ok with this. I am on a Journey, and it isn’t a race, we do the best we can with what we have available. And today, although there are negatives towards reducing my waste, there’s more positives.